It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Friday, September 7, 2012

Shelby County Invitational 2012

We woke up today full of excitement! Seriously we all had the jitters...but happy...my tummy is full of butterflies...but I can't quit smiling jitters!
It was the first race of the XC season and behind Riggs' smile I saw one scared little boy. This meet was 1 mile....not his strong point and I could tell that was weighing heavily on his little shoulders.
A group of North Middle School boys walked over...some we knew...some we didn't...and said they wanted to see Riggs's spikes...and that made him feel good, I know...even though he barely said a word to them and pretty much kept his head down....
 Spikes were put on.....

The kids stretched and warmed up......
and eventually it was time to take our box on the starting line....Riggs, at first, was quiet and distant....Rollins more relaxed and grinning.....
and then the "this is real" nerves set in....and Riggs felt like he was going to throw up...and Rollins got focused....this was my queue....it was time to run......and they were ready......
The Gun fired.....and they
were....
off.......
But it was a false start and they had to do it all over again.....
The second  time they were a go...and the race was on....
Riggs is not a sprinter so he is never in the front right away...and Rollins is in the back row so he is never in the front either....they always disappear into the woods and the wait to see how they are doing is always so long....when I first saw the Gator again Riggs was in front.....
but Ethan was close behind.....

Rollins was in a pack and I was so nervous...I just went to the finish line and waited...and tried to send positive energy into the world for my boys...when I finally heard the "here they come" shouts.... I looked up to see Riggs.....
and there was no one behind him....
people were cheering for him.....and had fingers crossed for him...
He was amazing....
and I was so proud of him.....

His eyes were on the prize...

and when he got there....tears streamed down my cheeks......

and then came my little firecracker......giving it all he had.....

Rollins had an awesome race!
He digs so deep....
all the way to the finish line....just like his brother...but in his own way.....
One race down....and it was a happy one....I may just hold my breath the whole season...so if you see my passed out and blue...well, you know why.....

Riggs ran a 5:54 placing first......
Rollins ran a 6:32 and placed 15th.....

It was a good first meet.....Riggs was excited to get that first...1st place trophy...and Rollins was so proud of him....


Overall the girls came in second and the boys came in first!
Way to go Gators!

No comments:

Post a Comment