It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Friday, March 9, 2012

Riggs' Writing celebration

I joined Riggs in his class for a writing celebration. They had been working on essays...personal essays. As I listened to what they had learned...I wondered what these kids would write about....what were the things they could bravely write about...what things were touching to them...
 I was in for a startling realization...these 9 year olds hearts' are full of touching...heartfelt moments....that as I listened made my mouth curl up in a smile...and also made tears stream down my face. I listened to essays about pets who are loved, moving to another city, how family means more than anything...
My heart ached when Christopher read his essay about how important a mother is...and how he relies on his mom for everything.....his mother is my friend, Pam, who is currently trying her fourth, or fifth chemo concoction....hoping this one is the one to save her...

 I couldn't wait to see what my boy would write about...he is shy and still struggles with his confidence...would it be a happy essay or a sad one.....

and when it was his turn...the title was ...Don't give up Even Though It Can be Hard......his glass was half full, my friends...and my heart was so happy.....


 The best line...Don't give up on your heart.....What a big statement from such a little person. I was so proud of him! As I looked around the room at all these amazing kids and their heartfelt stories I felt so lucky to know them...and beyond lucky to call one of them my very own.
 As I looked around...my eyes caught sight of a quote on the wall...it was the only quote I saw....and the author was my son...Riggs Hardy....it was compelling and made me think.....he is such a neat kid..he just really is....
We celebrated with hot chocolate and friendship....
 and the class reciting O Captain! My Captain! by Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment