It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Monday, May 13, 2013

Calm waters


Yes....Riggs Hardy changed my life. All my children have....but the change from not a moma to being a moma...that is the biggest one....hands down.  I entered the Ocean of being a parent with hope and love for sure. Most of my "first" as a parent happen with him and tonight was just another "first" I can add to my life.....my first experience with being the parent of a Middle Schooler. Tonight Jeremy and I went to North Middle School Parent Orientation.
We sat there listening to everything.....to everyone.....there were moments I teared up.....lots of times I laughed...just taking it all in....for the first time. I felt like I was in a life boat with a life vest on as I listened to how my waters were going to get rough and the best things I could do to brave the storm.
 They talked about schedules and curriculum but the bulk of the time was spent talking to my heart about what I can expect from my son...as he moves from my sweet, wonderful 10 year old to the 11 year old middle schooler. I am sitting there thinking about his face at 2....big, blue eyes asking for Deuce (juice)...and they are telling me that I can say goodbye to sweet and welcome with love a child who is a storm of emotions.....moody, sensitive, impulsive, rude, unaware, self absorbed, a child who seeks to belong and often does best away from home, who desires to test limits, and will listen to Dad more and Mom less....just to name a few. It's the beginning of the slip...as they begin to slip away from you...as a parent you have shined on the pedestal they have put you on....but I am getting ready to be replaced in a big way by friends and acceptance even more than I already have been. It's one of those things I wasn't prepared for....as a parent...you think in your head that you have until 18...high school...but the slip comes so much sooner......enjoy every second of 10 and under, friends. The slip will come no matter how close you are to your child...it's a part of life...a part of growing up.I just didn't realize it would come this soon...but here we go......
 At least we all have new Spirit Wear to celebrate the slip and to embrace middle school with hope and excitement.....stormy days with rough water.....gentle days with calm water....no matter what we are there.
 And for the moment we will enjoy the fleeting tickles on the bed that bring smiles.....some times he laughs now...and sometimes he gets mad...it's all part of the slip....he truly is just the like weather....unpredictable and ever changing.

and I have promised to remember this......as I go into days when he won't want to sit by me...or may ignore me....or say things he doesn't mean as his emotions explode around him
I can't change the slip....or the fact that he is growing up....but I can continue to love him and calm his waters. That is what the Middle school counselor said.....calm the waters...but whatever you do DO NOT get in the boat.  Be the light house. 
Wish me luck to my days ahead of hurricane winds mixed with gentle breezes as he slips a little more every day....
 and here's to calming waters for us all

No comments:

Post a Comment