It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I bleed blue

I have little boys...who love basketball....am I lucky or what?!

It was finally here....the day the Cats would play for the National Championship! The boys came home and got on you tube and listened to all their favorite UK songs.."I Bleed Blue" and "See you in the sky" to name a few....
We all were so anxious....so excited.... to cheer on the Cats to what hopefully would be Kentucky's 8th National Championship...as the song See you in the sky goes....It's time for number 8!



They were so excited and so happy....but it was a basketball game...a big one...but nonetheless just a basketball game...and that meant that we could loose. This night could be...that night we lost to Kansas....or a night, the boys, especially would remember forever as the night we watched the Cats win their 8th National Title.....a night I knew would be etched in their minds and their hearts forever...what can I can....they bleed blue.....
The girls didn't last long but he boys hung in there...and we clapped for every basket....
worried about every shot Kansas took....
and squealed and jumped with delight at every block we made and dunk that went into our basket!
We were nervous.....
and superstitious.....
But we were in it...a part of the Big Blue Nation!
We never trailed..but it was always too close for comfort....we had seen this Kansas team come back and knock out Ohio State....
With 5 minutes left...Rollins drifted off and I promised to wake him up  to see the end....
We were loud and proud.....crazy and passionate...but all in the privacy of our living room! That is why we had to watch it with just us...so we could be just how we wanted to be...all fired up!
I'll never forget it....never..... for the rest of my life....sitting there watching this game with my boys...sharing worried looks, high fives....and a love for basketball and this team....

When the final second was off the clock...we jumped and danced.....and celebrated sweet victory !
We teared up as the team hugged....seeing how much it meant to these Kentucky kids....and realizing how lucky they were to have won this amazing tournament....and how lucky we were to be a part of it....
We Bleed Blue...thru and thru....
and tonight...as the confetti rained we celebrated like we were right there in the Super dome.....we made good memories.....vivid...lasting.... true blue memories....

What a fun season...and one we will remember for the ages....
I 'll remember these players....
and this coach....
and the energy and excitement of the Big Blue Nation.....
but most of all I will remember this face.....this smile of pure relief and delight....how his dimple seemed a little deeper this night...how much in love with both boys I felt....and how thankful I was to this basketball team for giving me this memory...I thought back to how elated I was in 96 and 98 to celebrate victory, but nothing compares to celebrating victory with my boys....
At 1:18 we headed to bed...happy....
and full of big dreams.....

and knowing in the morning we would hear how crazy we Cat fans are...and  knowing we would have have to down play our excitement and our joy.....but that is fine....I can hold it in.... until I watch that new banner unfurl! Go Cats....today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment