It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

911

Remembering 911 is a big deal this year...it's the 10 year anniversary of that sad day that forever changed anyone old enough for it to have touched in any way.  I remember hearing about the first hit to the tower as I traveled to Fort Knoxx to call on a hospital there for work. I remember feeling so shocked by the act and turning around to go home...home is where I wanted to be...in a place I felt safe. I sat on the couch for the rest of the day watching the day and the sadness unfold in tragic layers on TV...all the while keeping one hand on my belly. I was pregnant with Riggs and so full of hope for this baby and I remember feeling so hopeless that day. Everything seemed so uncertain. 
Ten years later that baby in my tummy is 9 and there are three others in my life. Now 911 is a piece of history that my children learn about and learn from.
Goshen is an amazing school in so many ways but the heart that lies within the school is so very special and they delicately and perfectly addressed 911 to the children. One special thing the second graders did was to make yellow ribbons...... and with their individual ribbons we made one big one. 
It was beautiful!

 Riggs and Sarah Kate wrote to their heroes....but that is another post all together!
On the actual day of 9-11 we spent the day together as a family although Jeremy had to work. It just seemed right to be together...near the ones you love the most the most. We got up and dressed in our red, white and blue. We began the day by making card of thanks to our local fire fighters.




We then delivered them to the fire house and thanked the firefighters for their service.
We stood beneath this flag and hand in hand prayed for all the victims of 911 and their families.
I hope my littles grasp what it means to be thankful...to feel blessed and to know how lucky they are to live in the United States of America.
After our patriotic morning we headed to the zoo! We were happy to see King Louie!
and on this day we seemed to linger a little longer at the bald eagle nest....

I just felt thankful all day. Everything the littles did had a back drop of immense gratefulness.
My littles are a gift....and on a day like today it sinks in deeper and deeper how much of a gift they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment