It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Friday, September 2, 2011

IRONMAN 2011

For a year he has been absent. It was like we sent him off to Ironman camp. Literally 6 days a week for a whole year he has worked toward this goal...this dream of being an Ironman. We were left with an emptiness I can't even begin to describe. An emptiness than seemed to grow as we got used to seeing less and less of him...and more and more of the pieces of his dream that littered the house.


He has planned....thought....packed....run endless miles....biked an eternity...and the laps in the pool are too many to count. He has given his time....his life...his mind...and his heart to this dream...of crossing the finish line....just like Mark did last year.


I have given my heart to this too. I have been a single mother of four for a year. I have given in every way that I could...meals cooked....workout wear washed...love, support...encouragement, and to me the biggest sacrifice was giving up my husband for a year...not only taking over all the little things like taking out the trash for a year but dealing with the emotional burdens of our busy life with four littles on my own so that he could focus and not worry...that was hard. I am a woman with a big heart. I am emotional, sleep deprived and  I give all of myself to my life everyday...and I have kept that wrapped up in a package for a year now. A package tied together with a smile...all leading up to this day.

The day began early. The alarm went off at 3:30 am. We got up and Jeremy was quiet and calm...I did not expect him to be like this at all. Mark and Kevin came to pick him at at 4:30 and we took a send off picture for Team Terminator.
 I told Jeremy I loved him and off they went....

We met back up with him at 7 am at the start of the swim by the river. It was a sea of lime green caps..and we waited as hundreds...maybe thousands passed until the green cap we were looking for passed by...

 We followed him down to the dock where we were able to talk to him. He was happy and excited. The weather was nice...not too hot...even a little cool....he was focused and being with him made me feel calm for a moment.

 It wasn't until later that we realized why we got this little moment on the dock. A man had jumped in the water and had a heart attack and had died moments before Jeremy entered the water.
He said the swim was choppy but he was amazing and finished the 2 mile swim in 1 hour and 22 minutes. we were at the transition area waiting for him to wish him luck on the second leg of this amazing journey!
 Ironman day is full of emotions...you see those with shattered dreams...this guy didn't even finish the swim...
 and those that finish it and moved on to the bike...this one without strong legs to kick for two miles...inspiration is in the air at every corner.....
 Finally #1416 made his way to the bike mount and we cheered and sent him off on his 112 mile bike ride with all the love we had...
well.... love and prayers.....

 Team Terminator was strong and we were all about supporting Jeremy on the course. We all split up and Jeremy said seeing people on the course means more than anyone can ever tell you...just hearing someone yell your name...can give you the pick me up you need in that moment.....the fuel you need to go on....
First stop...Buckner.....
We were all so excited!
The bikers pass by the hundreds...and you hold your breath..thinking that everyone is going to be him...and they rush by so fast you worry about missing him.....

and then finally we saw him...and he was smiling and strong....we had been told that as long as they were smiling and responsive that they were ok....if they did not respond then they were in trouble...but he was all smiles!

and then he was gone in the blink of an eye!
We headed to Sligo for the next stop...me refreshing my phone over and over as we tracked him. My only way to be connected to him on the course...that and the prayers and positive energy I sent out to him with every breath I took....
again we waited.....
and soon he was there...still smiling and still strong! Go Jeremy!!!

We waited here for hours cheering every biker that passed...Sligo is a lonely area of the course...and the bikers really seemed happy to have us there....
two hours later he was back...and it was so good to see him again....
He still looked good and we were so happy he was doing so well!
He was rocking the bike out in a big way!

He was on the homestretch of the bike segment..on his way to transition to the run!
We jumped in the truck to head that way too!
It had already been a long day...and it was about to get even longer....
We made it and saw him transition to the run...he was so focused...I had to ask him to pause for a picture....
He just looked so good! He was doing it...really doing it!
I called out Go Terminator and he flexed his muscles...he was still happy and truth be know really enjoying this journey.....

I felt good...we all did! It would be a while before we saw him again at the loop...so we played down town and had a ball! We were just full of joy!





Life was good!

We went to the hotel for a bit.....
checked in with friends and family.....
met up with friends.....and shared or journey so far....all of us going through this together...
Got our official Ironman cow bell to ring at the finish line....just keeping busy while Jeremy was running...just counting the minutes until we would see him again at the 12 mile loop....the sun was shining on us...little did we know Jeremy was entering his darkest miles...
Mark called us to tell me he was a mile away....so we went to the loop and soon he was there. I am sorry the pictures are not good...it's hard to take pictures when you are shaking...and worried. The Jeremy we saw here was not the muscle flexing Terminator we had last seen. This man was 12 pounds lighter....moving at a shuffle.....and barely responsive to us. Worry set it....tears welled...You can do this baby...you can finish this.........I repeated over and over
I want to finish..... he said....He was tired...he had hit the wall and his body would not let him put anything in it...he was running on empty now...and he still had a ways to go. It was all about strategy now to make it to the finish line...he would have to take it slow until he got closer...
The last leg of this journey would seem endless...for him...and for us....but he is a Terminator and he kept going putting one foot in front of the other...moving forward with every step...moving closer to fulfilling this dream....

This time instead of saying goodbye after he passed....we ran along the side walk as far as we could...trying to give him every ounce of our energy we could....Go Terminator
My heart sank...I have seen this thin man before...times when he has trained this year when he lost too much weight in a workout and was weak....he has worked so hard...he deserved to finish this...and I wanted it more than anything for him...we all did....but thin and unresponsive is not a good way to be in when you have miles and miles and miles to go....but there is always something to be said for pure heart...and will...and determination.....I just prayed it would be enough to fuel him to the finish line....all of a sudden I realized he was truly empty..and I felt empty...and when I looked up the streets seemed empty too...
As we walked back to the finish line area....I saw this t -shirt....and I was reminded...I can do everything through him who gives me strength.....and I prayed for Jeremy in a big...big...way....all we could do now was wait...
The finish line area is overwhelming! It is a big venue...full of energy and emotions. It is a crowd of people who are worried...hopeful...excited...it is electric.....
We watched and waited.....it was awesome to see Billy finish and to see Spencer...he was so proud of his dad....
Finisher after finisher crossed the finish line...to cheers and families who were overflowing with pride for their Iroman! This husband and wife were precious...she just wanted to be near him and he just wanted to wrap her up in his pride....
This guy stopped and looked around at the finish line until he saw this girl in pink...his girl....and they embraced......for what seemed like forever as hot tears of relief and joy...ran down both of their faces...after this long journey all he wanted was her....even though the finish line was steps away.....
We cheered loudly as this guy crossed with his am in a sling......
They were all tired....beat...salt covered....and drained...but they all arrived at that finish line with smiles of pure ecstasy.....I did it.....I am an Ironman....I join an elite few on the planet in this brotherhood....and we celebrated with them all!
But where was my Ironman.......

We searched and refreshed his tracker...over and over......over and over.....over and over...waiting for him to check in at the 20 mile split...I stared to wonder if he was done....his journey was over...
Time seemed to roll by.....slowly. The worry built with every second. Jeff went and found Jeremy on the course at this point. He was by U of L...and he was still moving...still trying. I was so glad to know he was still on his journey. He had just hit a wall...his body did not want anything to come in...and it's hard.....almost impossible... to finish a marathon with no fuel. I asked Jeff..can he finish...and Jeff said yes...who needs fuel when you have heart?
Of all of us Riggs and I were the most nervous....that child prayed for his daddy so many times that day...and here at the finish line he sent out one more prayer....
I was so glad my brother Jason was there with me. We stood there at the finish line for hours together. We talked little but I felt stronger in his presence. I am not sure I could have gotten through this day without him.
The waiting continued...and it was hard...
Sarah Kate fell asleep standing up on a flower pot...and Lila fell asleep too....the wait went on and on...
And then finally we saw him...and it was the best sight...he was at the finish line...and he looked good...
Gone was a man who was depleted of energy...the Terminator that arrived at the finish line was running...and smiling and being fueled by cheers and a intense sense of accomplishment....

Jeremy Hardy you are an IRONMAN!!!!!
We could not wait to get to him! We celebrated and hugged...and basked in his glory!
hug after hug....

Team Terminator celebrated!

He told me that the last leg...the part where he was trying to strategize how he could make it without any fuel...was a mental game. He said he replayed the video I made him in his mind...and he thought about how much he has missed and sacrificed and worked this past year. He said he had to make it through two hours to make that year of sacrifice count...to make it mean something.....2 hours to justify a year. So he dug deep and he did it...he overcame...and the victory was sweet.....sweet for all of us....



It was a night....a year....a journey I will never forget.

Jeremy is an Ironman and that will stay with him forever.
It was Jeremy....all him...but in so many ways it comes back to Riggs. He wanted it just as much...and prayed so hard...and he was the one who inspired Jeremy...and it was replaying Riggs at the state XC meet that got Jeremy through the dark miles of Ironman.
After every hug was given to everyone...Jeremy came back to Riggs and pulled him close. Jeremy didn't know how much or how hard Riggs had prayed that day.... but I had a feeling in that moment that he must have felt them. Fueled by dedication, heart, will, and heartfelt prayers.....Jeremy is an Ironman. Today...Tomorrow and Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment