It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Finally a little bit of luck....

When Riggs was born it was as if he came out a little uneasy with who he was...and what he wanted. He cried a lot...and I mean a lot....for hours on end sometimes.....

But I could see the hope in his eyes at an early age.... and although I would see the glass half full and he the glass half empty...I began to talk about believing in who he was...because who he was.... was beautiful! I found a motto for Riggs and hung it in his room...and although he has had many room themes from Race cars to sports the moto always has a special place so that he would always see it....." Promise me you will always remember..you are braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" -Christopher Robin to Pooh

And so we loved him...and believed in him...and all the while he has continued to doubt himself...feeling still a little uneasy with who he was and what he wanted. And now it feels, finally, like things are falling into place for my sweet Riggs....finally we have a little bit of luck and I can see that he is starting to see that he can be brave, strong and smart.

Riggs has been working so hard in cross country...he has put his heart on the line for every practice...I have never seen him try so hard...and believe in himself like he does with running...he feels good out there on the course....putting one foot in front of the other and it taking him places. Tonight his hard work officailly paid off and the Coach recognized him as one of the top seven runners on the team. This was someting Riggs wanted so much...and he got it! He put forth the effort...believed he could do it with all his heart and he did it!

And while Jeremy stayed with Riggs to finish out his cross country practice I went to join Mrs. Parrot for back to school night. What an amazing teacher! I watched her energy..and the love that radiated out of her...love for teaching...love for the children. I listened as she talked about children and their needs and I teared up as she read what she believes to be true about teaching...about the shades between black and white. A teacher who believes in what Christopher Robin said to Pooh.....a teacher who will love and help Riggs grow...just as a glimmer of confidence seems to be glowing inside him. He is in a wonderful place with cross country and in a fantastic room at school....I am so full of hope for Riggs...that he will be happy with who he is and what he wants...that he will believe in himself for all he is and all he has to offer...that he will love himself and feel genuinely happy inside and out. I am so proud and full of joy tonight for this child who made me a mother. I have always been hopeful for Riggs...but it feels so good to see him full of possibility...he feels it...I just know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment