It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

let em...

Being a parent is hard...and I think one of the hardest parts is the balance for the need for order and the need for the soul to breathe with the unexpectedness a little mess...and a little chaos...and a little laughter that the soul needs! It's trying to stay orderly and organized so you don't do things like forget a birthday party and not show up, not send in a packed lunch on a field trip day...have piles of laundry stacked up in your hallway and unexpected guests drop by and of course head upstairs to see you piles and piles of clothes.....and you want to crawl under the piles to hide your embarrassment. We feel this tug on our hearts while trying to balance this with enjoying our lives by letting the kids dream, explore and discover....and allowing ourselves to sit down and enjoy the moment....or to be silly and laugh even though there is a check list a mile long of stuff you should be doing so you don't forget the birthday party...and the field trip lunch...and so on and so on...it's a cycle we all brave every day...especially we Momas. But I find with every passing year....maybe every passing day...that although the balance is hard....I know it's always going to be hard right now...while I am in the midst of rearing four littles....and so no matter what I try to feed their souls with joy and wonder.....I just think they learn so much that way...and I know I do.
so let em....
Dump a million legos all over the living room.....see what they make....watch them share...

 Let em dance on the tables....because for that moment it is a stage....and we have plenty of lysol to clean it with later.....



Let em put a straw in their mouth and tell you it's "fashion"....because, baby, for that moment it is!
Let em share that "fashion" with you.....I was handed this straw because Lila loves me.....and although my first fleeting thought told me that was too silly for my 35 year old self....that thought was quickly replaced by happiness as Lila watched with pride as I welcomed her "fashion".....and rocked out that staw as best I could!  Don't knock it till you try it!
Let em....think about things....really think about things......let their own thoughts settle in their minds and their hearts...if you are patient you will see the wonder they see in the world....
Let em cut paper in the floor....I swear it will make their handwriting better!
Let em get back out after you have already put them in the car and buckled the car seat latches....just to catch a snowflake in their hair cause you gotta rock the snow princess look while you can!
Let em help...sanitize those hand and let them fill the ice in the glasses for supper...it's easier to do it yourself it's true....but let em.....
Let em have a say in what they wear....there is a time and a place for every outfit...but really.... why not wear a sequins hat to a Sunday afternoon 4th grade basketball game? Let em be girls!
and let em be boys.....shirts off....wrestling.....I swear it's how they bond!


The "let ems" change every day..these are just a few.....and mine are different than yours....but after that laundry is done and the fridge is clean...and the valentines party is planned....and whatever else is on your list is organized......just promise me that you will ......Let em. You will be so happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment