It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Monday, July 25, 2011

Triton Tryouts

Riggs is hoping to join a year round swim team....we didn't have a lot of time to think...the Triton try outs were now. It seems like everything happens so fast...so early with kids and sports. As a parent you feel like if you are not doing one thing or another that your child is going to be behind...I just hate that but it is what it is. So so went to Triton try outs and I just felt rushed..unsure of this...I mean he loved the swim team but he has only been really swimming for 7 weeks.  I needed something more other than Riggs' excited eyes to tell me this was ok...could I  really do one more thing with eveverything else we already have on our 6 plates?

We went in...signed up and got Riggs' number. A man was holding the try outs and we watched him evaluate the swimmers...and as we waited to be called...my phone rang. It was Jeremy...he was at the Y swimming for the Ironman...he told me he had just met a Russian man with two little boys who were amazing swimmers. Jeremy talked to him and he teaches his own kids but said their was a Russian teacher right here in Louisville..her name was Jenica and she was with the Tritons...and she was amazing.

Right before Riggs was called for his evaluation the man handed his clipboard to a  tall, thin woman...in a Russian accent she called out #4, Riggs Hardy. I raised my hand...and she walked over and introduced herself as Jenica.

She was pleasant and calming and invited Riggs to walk to the end of the pool to prepare to swim. She hung behind him a bit and watched him walk and watched his body move. She came back to me and with raised eye brows said...he is best at breast stroke....back is his weak...yes? He is best with distance? The 200 breast will be his stroke.....I could barely talk, but I think I shook my head and told her yes.  Yes...breast is his best...yes...back is his worst...yes...he is a dstance man...the farther  the run..the farther the swim..the better he is.. how can she see that by watching him walk?!!
 Jenica was all I needed to know this was right...this was going to be ok....I can fit it in...I am telling you people listen to the world...it speaks to you if you let it...if you listen....
He did his strokes for her as she watched. After it was over she filled him with praise and told him he was a strong swimmer. She said there was one thing on his back stroke to fix and one thing on his butterfly to fix but that that would be easy to do since he is a brand new swimmer. She invited him to be on the team and told him after he got these two things fixed she would move him right up to the silver division...and the silver division has the perfect schedule to go with cross country. So here we go....now we are Tritons!

No comments:

Post a Comment