It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Saturday, December 3, 2011

AAU Nationals 2011

When we walked into the ESPN Wide World of Sports today it sure had a different feeling. It was race day...the day we came for....the race we came for...the competition we came for...it was all here today.


We were excited...but nervous....happy but anxious.....

We began the day by watching the older teams race. It was important to Riggs to see Trenton run for sure. Riggs just admires him so much.  I snapped this picture of Riggs right after the gun went off for Trenton's race...you may not be able to tell...but his hands are folded and his head is bowed in prayer for Trenton to have a great race. This moment opened my flood gates...brought tears to my eyes and for the rest of the day I teared up about everything. This means something to Riggs...these races.....this team. He is shy and has had trouble opening up to the Derby City kids and finding his place....but he sure loves and believes in them and is truly happy to be a part of this. I hope with time he will find his place.
Go Trenton go! He came in 9th!
Cross Country is not a main stream sport...and not everyone is as emotionally invested in it as others. I am so thankful I have Wendy and Monique to talk to about XC and the journey our kids are on....just knowing I can pick up the phone and talk to them means so much to me. I was so happy they were there...and we were all cheering on each other and our kids!

In no time at all it was time to get Riggs ready for his race....spikes check.....
tattoo check.....
Bib numbers check.....


We decided to go ahead and get Rolls ready too since he would need to be getting ready during Riggs' race so this was a big moment...Rollins got to put on spikes for the first time! He was so proud!
The brothers for the first time...both in spikes!
Riggs was nervous...and quiet. He watched anxiously as the race before him took their positions at the start line....

It was time to say goodbye to Riggs...they take them to a holding tent before the race and their run outs and pre race things are all on their own.....a quick hug and an I love you and he was gone....

At the start line....he waited
and then the gun went off and a hundred or so boys from all over the country...full of talent....and desire were racing...... and one of them was mine.....
I followed him during the race to cheer but he is too fast for me to get a good picture...I was always behind him....at the finish line I was poised for pictures but had trouble cheering and taking pictures and video taping all at the same time...so this is all I have. Sometimes you have to choose between a good picture and cheering them on with all you heart. So maybe we don't have the best picture of the finish but I hope he will remember my voice...full of pride cheering for him.
I will forever remember those black and green spikes passing by me...and a little the boy full of determination who was running in them....tears running down my face I cheered for him!

On stage they called up his age group and he was 6th. Sixth in the nation.........Wow!
I wonder what he was thinking up there in front of all those people....for a minute it was just Riggs and his medal.....


I could not wait to get to him...but it seemed like forever until we did!
finally he was ours again! We were so proud!
Riggs and Wes really bonded over this race...this moment in time that they shared...I could see a shift in them right away after the race....a good one! I called them the long haired babies!
Now we were off to cheer on Rolls! At 7 he handled being on his own a the start line like a champ!
Then he was off......
Riggs and I ran the course cheering him on....
Then I waited at the finish line.....and the pressure was on for a good picture...because Riggs has one of his first race here at the finish line as a poster in his room...and Rollins had already said he wanted one too....so here he came and I got ready and hoped for the best!
What I can say...without a doubt...is that Rollins gave it all he had....he put his whole heart into this race....

GO......
BABY........

GO..........
I was beyond proud of him!
All it takes is all you've got.....Rollins believed that all the way to the finish line....

He came in 21st over all in his 8 and under race...he was the second fastest 7 year old in the Nation at this race. His team placed second so he got a medal too and got to go out on the podium.

It was quick but sweet this moment when Riggs saw Rollins after the race......he told him he did good and that was really all Rollins needed to hear.
XC brothers.....together......my heart runneth over with love.....
He headed to the ESPN grill to eat like he did last year....we just love dining under a room filled with such  inspiration....



The race was over...the mood was light and we relaxed...and laughed....and jumped for joy!




Life is good......and we had so much to celebrate!


You can't imagine how joyful we were.....Jeremy and I get so nervous...and now it was over....everyone had tried their hardest and had great races! We were like new people...and we could not stop smiling!



We celebrated at a team Pizza and Pool party that night! Yhea Derby City! Tomorrow we head home and get back on the Christmas train!!!
oh and one more thing to note....Lila was talking to Riggs that night on the phone and all by herself she told him "you wan good, Wiggs"...so sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment