It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A good ride home



Love is Saying Yes to Belonging
-David Steindl Rast
 I am so happy we belong to Goshen Elementary. I continually fall in love with this school.  It is a place where great things happen...where children learn in their own unique way...and although it is a public school where religion is only discussed during the Holidays when every holiday is discussed...the school goes about every lesson with kindness and goodness etched in the learning.  When you doubt that there is good in the world...and are uncertain about our future go spend some time in a class at Goshen Elementary....and listen to these wise, sweet, learners of the world. Listen to their hearts and smile inside. I am lucky enough to be the room mom for both Riggs' and Rollins' class...and it is a lot of work, don't get me wrong, but I get back ten-fold what I give. When I walk in the room they gather like baby ducky around me...for hellos and heartfelt hugs. And Riggs and Rollins sit back and watch with sweet smiles of pride that say...that's my moma....and then they say hello as the baby ducks scatter...and I can not tell you how good this feels. I get this every time I walk in the room. Every time. Today I hosted their winter parties and for their community service project both classes made fleece pillows and at the conclusion both classes voted on where the pillows wold be donated. The discussion was remarkable...each child thinking with their heart...and expressing why they thought these pillows would make someone happy.  Ironically, both classes without knowing it, both choose to donate the pillows to Kosair Children's hospital. Children helping children...precious.




 I feel so blessed to be able to send my kids to this amazing place where love truly is in every lesson it can be...where they teach kindness and the responsibility we have as residents of this Earth to help and give when we can with our time and our talents. Complete with snowball fights, crafts, community service projects and a video of their year so far...the winter parties in both classes were fun!  Riggs' had his party at the end of the day so I just took the boys home as car riders. When they climbed in the truck Riggs said..that was so fun, Momma.....and then Rollins said.....you are the best mom ever...you give the best parties......and there you have it...that is why I do it...why I spend hours taking pictures and making videos...choosing fun crafts...and service projects...why I stay up all night wrapping party favors....I do it because it means something to them...and they are thankful and proud of me. I do it because I love them more than life...and life is short folks. They won't spend forever thinking it is amazing that their friends and classmates love me...they won't always be impressed with a snowball hacky sack tied on to a white board as a party favor.....they won't always so easily express their love and appreciation for me...but today they do...and today I rode home with a smile on my face and so much love in my heart while they played games in the back seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment