It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Monday, March 14, 2011

Les Miserables

Les Miserables is my absolute favorite musical...I remember the first time I saw it...coming out of the theater sobbing with my eyes swollen shut. The story touched me and moved me...most stories do that have deep sacrifices for true love. I also love the theater...but I don't get there very often anymore...and when I go it just brings back so many memories. My mom was so good about exposing me to culture...and specifically the arts and I want that for my children as well. Mom surprised me with a ticket to Les Mis and when there was an extra ticket at the last minute I decided to take Sarah Kate. Every experience I can give...to show them the arts I want to. SK was the chosen one tonight because Lila is too little and it was selection Sunday and the boys were committed to art of bracketology for the evening.  I was so excited to share this night and the theater with her! She picked out her dress and I thought she looked stunning..her milky white skin against the deep crimson of her dress....just beautiful.

 She wanted a dressy, high pony tail...like the Barbie silhouette and I think we got it just right!
 She was excited! There is just something about a night out...all dressed up...in the big city!

 I had told her the surface of the story as we were getting ready...the bulk of it is way too deep for a little one and luckily I know the whole thing by heart so I could cover little ears a few chosen times...and I wondered if she understood any of it. I got my answer when we got there and she said look Momma it's Cosette when she saw the poster.
 I loved seeing her take the Kentucky Center in....when you are little everything is so magical. She wanted to peer over the rail and see all the people coming in...and see what everyone had on...and wanted to know why some people had binoculars.


She took her ticket, found her seat by counting the numbers on the fancy red velvet seat...see what I mean...I walked in and saw my seat and sat down...while the little girl I brought with me walked in wide eyed and saw the beauty in the seats of the theater....I was so happy I brought her for the experience right then and there. The lights went dim...she leaned over and whispered she was happy the conductor wasn't late...opened her sequins purse and while eating baggies of pretzels and marshmallows she watched the first act of Lea Mis in it's entirety.....2 hours long...and was perfect...asking questions every once in a while but she took it all in...full of wonder.
 At intermission I decided to take her across the street for supper while Mom, Nana and Cam watched the second act. She had been perfect but she was hungry and she is just 5...so we went across the street for chips, salsa and burritos and had the best time just being together and talking about the characters and the music we had just experienced.
 We then headed back over to the Kentucky Center to wait for Mom...and this may have been the best part. Waiting, we could hear the music...and SK danced and twirled her heart out...and was just precious!
  The funniest thing was when she sat down from twirling ....she looked at the program and proclaimed she was team Eponine...and if you know this love story you will get that.  It's just so funny to see how culture comes full circle as she got that inference from Twilight where she is team Edward. Twilight...Les Miserables..I just think she loves a good love story like her Momma...and she definitely loves a night out at the theatre! I know one thing for sure...I love the theatre, I love Les Miserables, I love Twilight...but none of them compare to the love I have for this radiant little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment