It's the little things that mean the most.....

When I pray for these children my prayer is for them to have kind, loving hearts....this is our life...our journey...our Hardy Hearts....

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Relay for Life

A year ago when Goshen participated in Relay for life and spirit week the lesson for my boys was the cause. You may not want to wear pink...maybe that is not cool...but the cause is so much bigger than not wanting to wear pink. Last year they chose to wear pink for the pink out at school and I was so proud of them...this year it wasn't even discussed...and they were excited to wear the pink and support the cause. This year is so different though for all of us. The cause is cancer and last year it was so far removed from us...something that happened to friends of friends...this year it happened to our friends. The boys go to art class and are taught by a lovely lady who stands before them with her beautiful bald head wrapped in colorful silk scarves...and is sometimes tired from her chemo.
They sit by little boys who mothers are covered in cancer and know words like chemotherapy....and they wonder....they wonder all the time why this happened.
For the whole week they have dressed for the cause....from pink out to hat day
and for one reason or another I have been at school every day this week...and this week...more than ever...when I volunteer I wanted to reach out and rub little backs and tell little boys that everything was going to be ok...so innocent...and still full of hope...and still smiling...but instead I just said silent prayers...more than usual this week. And I had a good cry in my truck in the school parking lot when a cancer moma told me she loved me on my way into school...it's not fair to have to tell people you love them because cancer makes you.
And today was my favorite relay for life spirit day....hippie day. The school was full of peace signs which was perfect because peace is what I wish for all these families that have found themselves wrapped up in a battle with cancer...and all the doubt it brings. Praying for peace and healing for all the families out there touched by cancer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment